I haven’t played with cake for a while. It’s been far too long. I made cake pops over the weekend but that doesn’t count. I am so over winter time. I don’t want any of the normal heavy flavors like chocolate or red velvet (even though those are delicious). So I decided to come up with a Strawberry recipe that would be simple and not require a lot of ingredients.
I opted to make mini cupcakes this time around. I love mini’s! I always tell people they are low-cal simply because they are small. It always confuses people at first, which gives me a good laugh. 🙂
These are simply made with few ingredients. No fresh strawberries this time around. I am working on a fresh strawberry recipe now. But this is good if you are in a pinch and need something different. I hope you enjoy them!
- 1 Box of White Cake Mix
- 1 box of strawberry flavored gelatin (not pudding mix although you could add that in place of gelatin powder if you wanted)
- 1 tsp Strawberry Extract
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat your oven to the temperature listed on the box. Grease and flour your pans.
- Make the cake batter as it states on the box. BUT…..
- Use milk instead of water (same amount as it calls for on the box).
- Use one additional egg than what it calls for. In white cake mix it normally calls for egg whites. Add one extra white to the batter.
- Use melted butter instead of oil and double the amount. So if it calls for 1/4 cup of oil you will want to add 1/2 cup of melted butter.
- Add a tsp of Strawberry extract
- Add 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- Pour into your cupcake liners about half way
- Bake according to the time on the package. If using mini’s I always start with 10 minutes and then test for doneness along the way. Be careful not to over bake. Mini’s bake much faster.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes then move cupcakes to a drying rack.
Strawberries and Cream Frosting
- 1 cup of butter softened to room temperature (I always use pure butter not margarine)
- 3 cups of powder sugar
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of strawberry extract
- a pinch of salt
- 7-10 tsp of heavy whipping cream
- Pink gel dye
- Beat butter until light and creamy
- Add Sugar, extracts, salt and whipping cream
- Mix thoroughly
- Add pink or red gel color until you achieve your desired color
- I piped the swirls with a Wilton tip 12 (round tip) then garnished them with pearl coated chocolates.