Every Year in New Orleans, Louisiana a celebration takes place called Mardi Gras. Twelve days after Christmas people all over the world celebrate Feast of Epiphany or Little Christmas. This also marks the beginning of the Mardi Gras season. Mardi Gras day is 47 days after the twelfth night and the day before Ashe Wednesday also known as Fat Tuesday.
As part of the celebration a very specific and traditional cake is made called a King Cake. The King Cake is made in honor of the three kings who brought gifts to the Christ Child. King Cake’s had simple beginnings with simple decorations. Today though, bakers all over adorn their cakes with many sorts of decorations and flavors.
Traditionally, a King Cake contains a hidden baby doll either made from plastic,porcelain or gold. If you are the lucky dog that finds the baby then you will host the next King Cake party the following year. I didn’t have a small baby doll so I hit a Hershey’s Chocolate Kiss inside.
I stumbled across an easy recipe for a King Cake from Pillsbury’s website. It is such a simple and fun way to enjoy a King Cake of your very own without having to travel to the great state of Louisiana. The Pillsbury’s recipe is for small individual King Cakes. I simple made one large one. One day I hope to make it to the Mardi Gras celebrations!
Happy Mardi Gras everyone!
- 1-2 packages of refrigerated cinnamon rolls
- Colored Sugar sprinkles in purple, green and yellow
- Preheat oven to the specified temperature according to the package.
- Grease a cookie sheet.
- Unroll three cinnamon rolls and braid the three strips of dough together. Continue unrolling cinnamon rolls and braiding until you have used all cinnamon rolls.
- Then place the braids around the cookie sheet to form one large circle.
- Stuff the toy baby or chocolate piece somewhere inside one of the braided sections.
- Bake according the package instructions.
- Once baked thoroughly, allow to cool a few minutes.
- Cover the ring with the icing that came with the cinnamon rolls.
- Sprinkle sections of purple, green and yellow all the way around.
- Sit down and enjoy!