The other day I baked my little heart out. I made eight cakes for orders coming up. Six of the cakes were white cake. If you want to make a truly white cake then you use only the whites of the eggs. So once I separated the yolk from the white, I covered the yolk and put it in the refrigerator. I can never really figure out what to do with the yolks of the egg. Hence my internet research endeavors commenced.
As I was surfing the world wide web I stumbled upon a sight that I have come to love! The site is Daily Glow and there is so much great info on there about health and beauty. I found a great article about using egg yolks in your hair! And since I had some time on my hands I decided to try one of the suggestions and make an egg yolk conditioner for my hair. See my hair is pretty long, it comes down past the middle of my back. I am prone to dryness simply because of weather conditions, climate changes, and some medications I take. It doesn’t matter how great of shampoo and conditioner I use, I still deal with dry and some what frizzy hair, mostly at my ends. Plus, I would rather use a homemade remedy than any store bought product any day! I was anxious to try this concoction and test it’s conditioning ability.
After using it, and following the directions on the site, I found that it made my hair very shiny and soft to touch. I was very happy with how my hair turned out. I normally deal with the back of my hair getting knotted easily because my hair rubs on the back of the couch or chair that I’m sitting in. I didn’t have hardly any issues with knots! The only thing I would recommend is shampooing it again after the conditioner. They do not recommend this on the site, they recommend thoroughly rinsing it out. I tried this and found I needed to hop back in the shower because my hair looked greasy from the olive oil and eggs in the recipe. I hope you have as good results as I did. So here we go!
Egg Yolk Deep Conditioning Treatment (from DailyGlow.com)
- 1-3 egg yolks depending on length, I used 3 for my long hair
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of lukewarm water (even though I used 3 eggs I still used 1 cup of water, I didn’t adjust this)
- Whisk egg yolks with a fork or whisk until broken up.
- Add olive oil and whisk. Can substitute baby oil instead.
- Slowly pour in lukewarm water
- Wet hair and wash with a gentle cleanser.
- Pour half of the yolk mix on top of your head and work through with your hands.
- Use your hands to spread the rest of the mix throughout your hair.
- Comb conditioner through your hair with a wide tooth comb.
- Rinse with lukewarm or cool water. NEVER RINSE WITH HOT WATER, IT WILL COOK THE EGG INTO YOUR HAIR!
- I rewashed my hair with shampoo and no added conditioner.